Monday, September 27, 2010

Toto, You’re not on the Upper East Side Anymore

As the elevator doors were closing I saw a little white dog. Dogs in China don’t have leashes, and they’re used to wandering to distances from their owners that would be considered dangerous by most Americans. I pushed the “hold doors” button, waiting for my neighbors, and found that the hall was empty beyond this little pup and his wagging tail. After, looking closer with the bright from the elevator, I could see the darkness around his eyes, and the dirt clinging to his fir. Of course, it’s just a street dog who wandered into my apartment building and nearly into the elevator. How silly that I didn’t realize that at first.

It was another reminder, when I feel most set in my routine: I’m in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment