Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Biking by Myself in Beijing

Today I decided to stay late at school and meet Kelly at the apt. Of course, I thought this was a great time to try a new way home through this dark underground tunnel. Even though I survived, I realized that I had no idea where I was on the other side. I decided to ride around anyway for a while to guess. (Even though I admit that special reasoning is not one of my intelligences.) Totally lost, and losing sunlight by the second, I realized that I had to turn back and try to find the tunnel again. All told it took my an hour to bike home, instead of 15 minutes, but I did make it back before dark!

Things I learned:

Even though bikers will go the opposite direction into biking traffic, this is not advisable for ex-pats who look like little wobbly white girls. Fact: Every bike, moped, and car will play chicken with you and only when you feel you must be wrong and nearly leave the curb will they pull away to pass.

Biking by yourself lets you set your own pace, which makes even getting lost a more enticing experience.
When Chinese people get off their bikes, get off your bike.

When Chinese people swerve quickly to the side, you are going to be hit by a bus.

Eventually, when waiting for your turn to cross the street, you have to just make a break for it through the rows of bikes, cars, and people. Fact: If you decide to go, you have to fucking GO!

All of this is possible while wearing your work skirt.

ps...I just realized now that my last entry (aka last Sat.) was Sept. 11. So weird being out of the U.S.A.

1 comment:

  1. Note to Forrest: my B, Flying Pigeon awaits under Success of the Week. (Think of it as an internet scavenger hunt. Trust me, she's worth it.

    ReplyDelete