Sunday, September 5, 2010

Finding Out I Live in Jersey, Minus the Shore

Sorry to leave you all with ranting about hostage situations. It’s Sunday night here and I just finished my first two consecutive days in Beijing without going into my classroom. Woot! The fun begins now!

I really did have a great weekend. There was a staff gathering Friday night with NY-style pizza that ended with a 20 person Tequila shot round, which included the director of the Middle School. (Is it Beijing, or are people just more laid back when they direct older kids?)
Saturday morning I went to “the biggest Ikea outside of Sweden,” which is apparently in Beijing. I don’t know if it was the size of the rooms, or the tremendous amount of stuff, or the huge crowd, but I got so incredibly motion sick just from looking around I had to end early and sit outside with my hands over my eyes. On the upside, Kelly and I got some fun things that make our new apt. even cozier. We’re finally not living out of suitcases!

Saturday night was my first experience of Beijing’s night life. Kelly stayed home to reenergize herself and to help us show the other people here that we are capable of doing our own thing. I went out with Erica and Roxanne to an area downtown , where I quickly realized I live in the Jersey of Beijing. Stepping out of that cab was one of the most comforting moments I’ve had here. It looked so much like NYC, with a giant Apple store, Starbucks, Coldstone Creamery, & more. There were vendors on the streets selling food, cigs, and even bongs (there is hope for MJ in BJ*) and then tons of bars and clubs.
*Yeah, I still think it’s hilarious that they call Beijing BJ. . .

We went into one called Red Club, a super-smoky, lights-blaring, maze of a place. By the time we made it to the dance floor we realized there was a big circle of people. I thought it was breakdancing, but when I looked closer, I realized there was a pole in the middle of the room. I had a flashback to clubs I saw in Vegas, but with one major difference: it was all guys. Guys, taking turns working this pole, and more guys, standing around, just digging it. There were girls too, standing around their men and giving them googly eyes as they went for their turn, hooking one knee on the pole and spinning around, or hanging nearly upside down, arms outstretched. The bro-mance was thick as the smoke in the room, echoing in heart-felt high fives and hair tosses after each successful trick. I felt truly story for my friends, who were hoping to meet guys.

For me, it was just another Saturday night where I was glad to be a lesbian.

Biggest Surprise This Weekend: Riding the subway. Even without being able to say the stops, Beijing’s subway made sense. None of this damn A,C,E, & you guess which is express. None of this “D running as a F” but the digital sign inside it says it’s a B. The trains actually go where they say they go. It’s a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment