Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Time as a Polar Bear

One goal that I’ve had for years is to start swimming again. Everywhere I live I bring my one piece and goggles, just in case. Apparently, China can finally bring that dream alive.

It makes sense, for a number of reasons. 1. I’m healthier in China than I’ve ever been. (I’m biking daily, sleeping more, and eating vegetables at an unstoppable rate.) 2. I’m a baller in China. It’s this crazy world over here where I can afford anything. It’s all poorly made crap that I don’t want, but I can afford it all! Everything runs in cash here, even though their largest bill is 100 RMB, which is about $15 (just divide by 6.8). Kelly and I live in this magical world where we grab a few 100 RMB bills out of our hiding spots to start our day.

So when my friend told me about a gym with a pool in WudaoKou (15 min. bike from my house or school) I knew this was it. It costs 300 RMB for 20 visits of unlimited pool time. I had L, my T.A. write out that I wanted this deal, and that I needed to buy a swim cap, in Chinese. My friend drew me a rough map on notebook paper and I set out with confidence.

My first mistake was going into the wrong building. I saw a sign with a wave on it, and went for it. After handing them my note and embarrassingly miming swimming for a longer period of time than I’d like to admit, another foreigner told me that this was an internet wireless company. Right.

He pointed me in the right direction, and I handed my paper over to the gym workers. One of the guys took it, looked at me, and then disappeared into the back room. He never came out again. (So much for that plan. The next time I feel prepared in China I should just kick myself immediately in the foot.)

Eventually some Australian guy came over and helped me buy a card. Success! Next I mimed swim cap (which basically looks like me hitting my own head) for a while to a man who turned out to be the janitor. Finally, armed and ready, I walked into the locker room. The locker room was bumpin’ with some techno, whose only words were “You’re my sexy man” on repeat.

Swimming was everything I hoped it could be and more. I had a lane to myself and cool chlorine water. I felt like a polar bear at the zoo on a hot day, (who I’m always jealous of as they splash and play on those fake ice cube floaties.)
Note: One should not get into water without knowing how to dry oneself upon exiting.
I blame my American-hotel-spa frame of reference, but I thought there had to be towels there. I did my best to use an extra shirt to dab myself while “You’re my sexy man” played again on repeat. (China actually does this a lot. At Lush, a somewhat happening bar/restaurant for expats, I heard that Usher song “Yea” play three times in a row. Really?)

Needless to say, biking home in sticky-wet jeans with “You’re my sexy man” stuck in my head was not one of my favorite rides.

Favorite Part of the Pool: After five min. I thought I’d run out of ideas. Then I found a little floatie, probably made for a child. I had a blast playing with it, just pulling with my arms, or trying to stand on it. (However, the grumpy Chinese men in the next lane were slightly less thrilled by my discovery.)

2 comments:

  1. try this. Its probably a 25 meter pool. So here is a workout. You'll need a kickboard, a little floaty thing to put between your legs (if you catch my meaning), and a water bottle. There should be a large clock somewhere around the deck that doesn't really seem to correspond to time/reality. That clock is your friend. Now write out this workout on a piece of paper and put it in a ziplock bag.

    4 x 25 on 1:20 sec swim (freestyle)
    2 x 25 on 2:00 sec kick (using the fancy kickboard tool)
    2 x 50 on 3:00 sec swim (freestyle)
    3 x 25 on 1:20 sec pull (using the fancy floating interleg tool)
    1 x 100 no time limit
    1 x 100 nice and easy cool down.

    thats about 500 meters of passion. the time limits I put up are a suggestion, they include both the time it takes to do the swimming and a little rest. But when the time is up on to the next activity. If you need more time adjust. Or if you're faster adjust your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, today instead I invented my own strokes, the dolphin and the dragon fly. It was a blast!

    (I'll try to work up to your passion, sir.)

    ReplyDelete