Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pre-Halloween

We went to a house party on Friday night, which we called a “trial” of our costumes. Our friend Roxanne was Alice in wonderland, Kelly was the Mad Hatter, and I, as you can tell from the picture, was the white rabbit. For my real costume I wore a red belt and bowtie, glasses and a “pocket watch” made from an alarm clock for dramatic effect.

It may sound simple, but putting our costumes together was actually a challenge. There is Halloween here, but you wouldn’t know it by the stores. We couldn’t find any stores that sold just Halloween stuff or costumes. Everything we found, from my furry dress to Kelly’s glowing green wig, came from a regular shopping plaza. We did find some typical costumes at the secret back wall of an underwear shop, (the school girl, the nurse, etc.) but it was clear that they were year-round items and not brought out specifically for this holiday.

The bunny ears we constructed out of a headband, toilet paper rolls, and extra Styrofoam from our speakers. I actually managed to find the extra bunny fabric in a little hallway of a fabric store at the shopping center. It took a while but I was able to turn it into a lesson on re-use with my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment