Saturday, October 16, 2010

Privacy Plastic

I was handed what looked like a fashion magazine, right after a Chinese girl on the street asked Kelly and me if we knew where to find a Church. (The girl said, “I want to go to church. Do you know?” When we said we didn’t, she asked, “Do you read Bible?” I’m wondering if this chick thinks that all white-looking people are in China as missionaries. Kelly’s convinced this was Jesus seeking her out.)

I don’t know if the magazine passer had anything to do with the Bible-asker, but when I got home I was shocked at what I saw.

These are the feature articles on the cover:

Privacy Plastic: so that the Well-being of Women Flowery Bloom; The Young Friend: You Understands the Contraception?; Huanghaibo: My Ass-Getting Career Path is Sweet; Women Don’t Do it: “Workplace Darling Female”

Ok, so I don’t know what most of that is even talking about. It seems to me that this is a feminist magazine, willing to produce taboo media to raise awareness on contraception and career planning. But part of me isn’t convinced because of the Privacy Plastic article, which seems to be about plastic surgery, the two-page spread about weddings, and the picture for “ass-getting career path” which includes two woman fondling a billboard of a smiling Chinese man.

Other article titles include:
Wrapping and Prostate Story: New Wrapping and DIY (complete with an add that contains a picture of a banana)
Drug Minefield
The Flow People: How to Avoid Second Ary Damage
A Man’s Silence Means What
To Change Life Habit from Hemorrhoids
Four men’s Impotence: Do not into the pitfalls of self-diagnosis impotence
The Psychological Pressure Created Man “is a woman.”
One page has a picture of a girl, carelessly leading against a wall in a short dress, with the caption “sweet” woman.

If nothing else, the reason that I was given this magazine is clear. Motivation granted, my study of the Chinese Language is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment