Saturday, October 30, 2010

Yen Party

Saturday night we went to the Yen Party, a warehouse party in the 798 Art district. The ticket said “kink fetish Halloween”, but I really had no idea what that meant in China. With my luck (especially in this country) I figured I’d end up in inappropriate clothing in a warehouse full of Chinese people dressed in slightly-tighter or shoulder-revealing clothes. The other problem was, how on earth could I turn that hideous furry dress into something remotely sexy?

Eventually, we just cut some slits in it and turned the sleeves into arm warmers and headed to the warehouse.

It was insanely packed when we got there. A crowd full of angry vampires, witches, and cheerleaders were waving their tickets in the air and trying to force their way through the gate. I got through, New York-style, after a few rounds, but some others in our crew were not so lucky. The guard was intense, throwing his body at the crowd and forcefully shoving people back who were trying to break in. At one point Kelly’s feet were literally off the ground and she was carried towards the entrance in a mass of pushy Halloween enthusiasts.

Thankfully, the scene inside was less dangerous and worth seeing. The space was huge and dark with rave lighting and blasting techno. It felt comforting to be in such familiar mayhem. The costumes ranged from adult-store lingerie to meticulously home-crafted to costume store in America. As I looked at the crowd of Scream and Jason masks, black cats, angels, and, yes, bunnies, I couldn’t help but think, “Where the hell did you get this?”

It was another reminder that I know nothing about this city.

It was great seeing so many ex-pats mingled with locals in one spot. My nights are usually filled with one or the other in very separate settings. And, I have to say, the Chinese people stole the show. When I saw a lame costume, the “basketball player” or just a panda hat, it was almost always an English-speaking white person. My kids may have a fresh outlook to this holiday at 6 and 7, but they were nothing compared to the enthusiasm of a sea of 25 year-old’s on their first Halloween!


Best costume of the night:
a monster humping himself. I spotted this treasure dancing by the wall near the door. His legs were the monster’s, bright red and furry, and the monster’s body was stuffed behind his back and towered over his head. The monsters red, furry arms were hugging him, and he had small, fake people legs coming out of his stomach. With the monster head bobbing, the arms wrapped around his body, and his fake little legs dangling in front, it was the best sighting of Halloween. Even more amazing, possibly, was when I saw him walking out holding hands with a girl.

I just love the idea, “Want to come to the Yen fetish party with me?”

“Sure, what are you going to be?”

“A monster…humping myself.”

2 comments:

  1. i wish i was at this party, its so cool that you are having fun in such a foreign place it must be such a trip. i would have dressed up as napoleon with that cool emperor hat....vive la halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Napoleon would be spot-on. Make it happen for next Halloween!

    ReplyDelete