Sunday, July 3, 2011

Right Question Wrong Time

I was having lunch at a mini-hot pot place, where the customers sit at the counter in front of their own individual pot. You can order any meat or vegetable that you’d like to put in, but unlike dinner Hot Pot, you have your own pot and cook it at your own pace.

L suggested that we get one of the set meals, which come with one type of meat, and a giant plate of veggies, tofu, and other sides. I chose the lamb and L chose the shrimp, which was the cheapest of the meats. (Shrimp, like crawfish, are served with the heads and legs still intact.)

I mixed the seed-paste that I mistakenly referred to as peanut sauce (for its remarkable similarity) to the amusement of L, with the cilantro in the bowl. Then I put a few ladels of the sweet and sour hot pot broth to make a soup. Then I selected spinach, cabbage, carrots, etc. and lamb at different times, waiting and then adding them to my bowl.

The tofu came in light and dark. I boiled some white tofu, ate it, and then boiled some dark. I ate half of the dark tofu, and then asked, “What is this?”
With my chopsticks hovering on the way to my mouth, L told me, “Pig’s blood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment