Friday, January 21, 2011

I Do Have a Voice

I mentioned earlier that my bike is in poor condition. The latest development is that the bell has fallen, unreachably, to the center of my handlebars. I discovered this in a tricky spot of traffic when I went to alert the bike next to me with my bell and instead swiped my thumb in the mid-air of where my bell used to be.

In my time riding here, I’ve noticed a difference between the way that Americans and Chinese people use their horns. It seems to me that most Americans use their horns as an extension of their road rage, a louder version of the curses that they’re saying from behind the steering wheel. I always laugh when I walk by a traffic jam in NY, where the streets are ringing mercilessly, as if that will make any difference in the situation, other than making it even more unpleasant.

That is not to say, by any means, that the streets of China are a quieter version of that scenario. In fact, the incessant honking is one of the “rumors” about China that has proven true for me, along with the polluted air. The difference, it seems, is that, while Chinese people may use their horns more than Americans, they also use them more purposefully.

Every “beep” and “honk” is directed at someone in particular, and it can be translated: “I’m here.” “Move faster.” “Don’t back up.” “I’m coming up on your right.”

The past few months I’ve been part of these swarms of traffic, and able to communicate on their level. It’s been a welcome change from the rest of my illiterate and disadvantaged life in China.

Cut to me, bell-less, in the midst of the herd. At first I just swerved around and played extra cautious, seeing as I was once again at a disadvantage. Then I remembered, as I so often have to do, that even though I can’t communicate, I still have a voice.

It’s been 5 days sans bell, which for me now means 5 days of, “Hey!!!”
I’ve tried “Ni hao” which means hello in china, but I find that I get a sharper head turn with a quick blast of “hey!”

Side note about English in China: Because they’re the most common “English” that Chinese-speaking people know. I am getting used to overusing, “Hello”, “Bye-bye”, and “ok.” That’s one more tick I’ll have to grow out of when I’m back in America.

Hopefully I won’t come back slowly enunciating, “bye-bye” and screaming “Hey!” instead of ringing my bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment